College of Engineering Unit:
UsTaxes is an open source tax filing application that can be used to file the Form 1040 United States individual income tax return and some state individual income tax returns. UsTaxes is provided free of charge and requires no sharing of personal data.
Interested in using UsTaxes? The income forms, return attachments, credits, and states of residency are provided below.
Supported Income Forms
The following federal income forms are (mostly) supported:
- 1099-R: support for normal distributions from IRA and pension accounts.
UsTaxes can attach the following to your 1040:
- Schedule 1 (as related to Schedule E and Schedule SE only)
- Schedule 2
- Schedule 3 (as related to excess FICA only)
- Schedule 8812
- Schedule A
- Schedule B
- Schedule D
- Schedule E
- Schedule SE
- F6251 (AMT; only supports exercise of incentive stock options)
- F8889 (Health Savings Accounts)
- F8949 (Uncovered Investment Transactions)
- F8959 (Additional Medicare Tax)
- F8960 (Net Investment Income Tax)
- F8995/F8995-A (Qualified Business Income Deduction)
These federal income tax credits are supported:
- Credit for Children and Other Dependents
- Earned Income Tax Credit
State Income Tax
State tax returns are now in development.
The following states are currently implemented:
- This is our contribution to the project.
The following state income forms are (mostly) supported:
- Form OR-40 (Oregon Individual Income Tax Return for Full-year Residents)
- Schedule OR-WFHDC (Oregon Working Family Household and Dependent Care Credit)
Note the following states have no income tax filing:
- New Hampshire
- South Dakota
11/51 states are supported. If your types of income and state residency are supported, you should be able to use UsTaxes to paper file your return!